You are here: Community In Memorium And what is it to cease breathing ...
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Search

Elmont Online

And what is it to cease breathing ...

040226092356Residents of The Parkhurst Civic Association of Elmont, NY are deeply saddened by the death of their former President and neighbor, Livingston Chrichlow. We Thank You.  It is difficult to express in mere words how deeply we feel his passing.

Cheryl Lee, President of Parkhurst, remembers meeting Mr Chrichlow over 25 years ago at a civic meeting, “our relationship blossomed into a lifelong learning experience.   I can proudly say that I was mentored by the best” “… I will never forget his thoughtfulness, kindness, patience and wisdom.  When I complained about how busy I was, his mantra was “God first, family next and everything else would fall into place.””

In 2004, Mr. Chrichlow received the inaugural 1st Annual Elmont Online – ECAP Dr. Carter G. Woodson Award. “He was one of Elmont’s African American trail blazers” said Allyson Phillips, Chairperson of the Elmont Black History Month Committee. “He was among the first Black people to move to Elmont and survived cross burnings on his lawn in the 70’s. He exemplified human dignity and is surely one of the shoulders upon which the Elmont Online – Highlighting Success Black History Month Celebration is built.”

Cheryl Lee concluded her remarks to Elmont Online by recalling the Mr. C., as he is affectionately called, introduced her to  the poet Khalil Gibran “…and I quote "And what is it to cease breathing , but to free the breath from its restless tides, that it may rise and expand and seek God unencumbered. Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb...."

Mr. "C" will be remembered as one of Elmont’s greatest community leaders. He will be missed by all whose lives he touched.

Here  are the arrangements:
Viewing - Monday  June 24, 5pm to 9pm - O'Brien Sheipe Funeral Home - 640 Elmont Road 11003  (516-285-5856)
Funeral - Tuesday June 25, 10:00am at   New Hope Lutheran Church - 168-05 118th Ave Jamaica Queens 11434 (718-528-0453)

Last Updated ( Tuesday, 25 June 2013 12:40 )  

Comments   

0 # Tammie Williams 2013-06-25 06:41
My condolences to the family. I only met him once but I could tell he had a genuine spirit. Just can't believe he popped into my head a [few days] ago. God bless.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote | Report to administrator

0 # Percy M. Samuel 2013-06-24 03:17
I was saddened to learn of the passing of my friend, Livingston Chrichlow. For the last 37 years he was my friend and Elmont’s Civil Rights Leader. We bought our homes here, in Elmont, together to raise our children. We were the first minorities to join the Parkhurst Civic Association. We fought together on many issues which our Elmont residents confronted, from cross burnings on our lawns, closing of the precincts, and when the planes were continuously flying over our neighborhood, he was there to stop them, and with our combined efforts got flight paths which eliminated a lot of the noise pollution the area was experiencing; with his efforts when a hotel near Belmont Race Track was being closed and the County wanted to convert the building into a prison he was there to fight, the fight. The building was eventually converted to a health center instead of a prison. Over the years there have been numerous uphill battles he fought to make Elmont a better place for those who came to make their homes in Elmont and educate their children in a good school district. He was also there for the little battles, such as the school budgets and outreach for community awareness. We were always on the same page. He was my friend and sincere advocate for Elmont -- I will miss him dearly. He always had a kind word to say about everyone. May he find eternal peace!

0 # Pat Boyle 2013-06-23 06:09
That is very sad news. Just saw him, and had a nice chat. Elmont's going to miss his insight and wisdom. He was one of the first people, and his wife Mary of course, that I met within days of arriving in Elmont some 25 years ago. Prayers for him and his family.

0 # Janet Mahoney 2013-06-23 06:08
Thanks for the info; he will be missed.

<< October 2014 >> 
 Su  Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa 
     1  2  3  4
  5  6  7  8  91011

Latest Comments

• Campaign to boycott (Anheuser-Busch) Bud Light Lime T.H.O.T Juice

• Tammie Williams 05/10/2014 08:14
      "Dear Ms. Williams, The derogatory depiction you ...

Read more...

• Joe Smith pleads Guilty

• Bebbie 12/06/2013 11:04
      Carl Achille is a breath of fresh air for this ...

Read more...

• Locked Out Of The American Dream

• Tammie Williams 12/23/2013 16:55
      Thank you for sharing this compelling story. I ...

Read more...

• More Liquor for Elmont - ECSD Plan

• jay 12/18/2013 18:47
      Just a few things, the Cosmos plan calls for a ...

Read more...

• Carl Achille 12/12/2013 00:28
      The will of our community is unwavering, and our ...

Read more...

Advertisment