Comprising 60,000 square feet on 3.8 acres, the library’s spacious quarters include three meeting rooms, a children’s story hour room, children’s craft room, a classroom, a quiet study room, two group study rooms, an adult computer area, a gallery and mezzanine. In addition, the Elmont Memorial Library houses a state-of-the-art 6,400 square foot, 430 seat theater, which hosts the Broadhollow Theater at Elmont (www.broadhollow.org) and other performances. Numerous tables with traditional lamps fill the central space of the building, where patrons can be seen daily, evenings and on weekends, reading, studying, researching, computing, and generally enjoying the peaceful environs. A magnificent feature of the central space is the photography that circles the area below the ceiling. Known as the Foster Meadows Elmont History Wall (Foster Meadows being the original name of this area), enlargements of photos – dating back to the first Elmont schoolhouse in 1865 and including such highlights as a 1920s trolley stop on Hempstead Turnpike, the first firehouse of 1927, first library building of 1936, and the Alva T. Stanforth School in the 1950s – surround patrons with glorious images from the past.
EventList powered by schlu.net